Friday, December 17, 2010

Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston



Today I thought I'd write about a book I reviewed for The Literate Mother a few months ago.  I fell in love with this book.  Yup, love.  I'll tell you why.

This book is written all in rhyme.  Can you imagine thinking up a whole 284 page book of rhyme?  Holy Cow. (do people say that anymore?!)  Here is the opening lines of Zorgamazoo.

"Here is a story that's stranger than strange.  Before we begin you may want to arrange:
a blanket,
a cushion,
a comfortable seat,
and maybe some cocoa and something eat."

Okay, so first reason I love Zorgamazoo is the rhyme.  It begs to be read aloud.  To yourself, your kid, your dog, whoever.  The second reason I love this book is the pictures.  Very fun.  They really gave me a great idea of the characters and they made me smile.

The third reason (you might be wondering at this point how many reasons I have, but I'm almost done.  Really.) I love this book are the words.  Some words are written to look what they mean.  For example, the word flame has flames coming out all around it.  The word smash looks smashed.  There are words throughout the whole book like this.  I'm telling you, it's the small things that entertain.

This book is a good for the whole family kind of book.  It is a fun adventure with Katrina Katrell and Morty the Zorgle on a quest to find the missing Zorgles of Zorgamazoo.  Katrina is daring and bold, full of zeal for life and adventure.  Morty is quiet and cautious.  Together they make quite a team.  If you want to read my full review for content, you can see it at http://www.theliteratemother.org/zorgamazoo

1 comment:

  1. I've added this to my Christmas list. I really think it would be a fun lesson plan- even sophomores like to be read aloud to! We could discuss poetry and try our hand out at similar types of rhyme. Yay!
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.