Monday, March 14, 2011

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


Kate’s mother is dying.  For years now, Kate has taken care of her mother and watched as she has deteriorated.  Now, her mother’s dying wish is to return to her home.  Kate is not excited in the least about the dilapidated house they will be living in or the new school she will be going to.  When Ava approaches her about attending a party to meet all the kids, Kate hesitantly agrees.  This sets off a chain of events that Kate never dreamed could be possible.  Greek Gods are real?  The God of the Underworld wants to marry her?  If she survives the next 6 months?  If she passes the tests?

I have to say that I usually enjoy books that have some sort of mythological base to them.  This was really no exception.  I was pulled into the book right away and there I stayed for a whole day.  That was how long it took me to read this because this was easy reading.  There was no confusion with the plot or ideas of this book.  Kate has a generous heart that forgives easily.  I think that is an admirable trait.  I really wished that Henry’s voice was as clear to me.  I finished the book wishing I knew more about him, how he felt and why.  I liked him, I just wanted more. 

I also really liked the idea that any little decision may be a test.   Someone is always watching to see how act and react, and just maybe proving our worth isn’t so much in the big, earth-shattering things, but in the everyday ways that we treat other people and handle ourselves.

I’d say this was a great debut title by Aimee Carter, who, by the way, has a way cool first name.  J  I’m looking forward to her next book because I was left hanging!  (but not too bad…)  I received this book courtesy of NetGalley for my honest review.

There was some language and sexual content in this book.  If you are interested in the break-down of these things, you can head over to The Literate Mother to check it out.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I really hope Aimee Carter develops Henry's character more as well. Will be interesting to see if a little love triangle develops too.
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I really enjoyed this book aswell! Can't wait for the sequel even though this one hasn't even been released

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really want to read this book. Been seeing it everywhere! Glad you enjoyed it and great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one. I got it from NetGalley as well. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read this. I got it from netgalley too but haven't made time for it yet. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I hope to read it soon now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I just bought this book and I can't wait to read it !

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.