Sunday, June 3, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I've seen so many reviews for this book.  They've been mixed, lots of comparisons to The Hunger Games and the Bachelor reality show.  While I can see how people would say that, especially about the Bachelor show, this book was more than that.

First of all, I really enjoyed this book from start to finish.  This was an eat it up kind of book for me.  I finished it fast and had no desire to stray.  (that means I didn't pick up another book while reading it.  hee hee)

Oh, and don't you love the cover?  I think it's so pretty.

America lives in a land using the caste system.  She is a 5 on a scale of 1-8.  That's pretty low on the totem pole and she and her family have to work hard to survive.  Life isn't easy and it definitely isn't pretty.  I found myself enjoying America.  She is kind and she thinks about other people.  When she makes a mistake, she knows how to apologize.  

While Aspen is such a hard working, good looking guy, he really didn't steal the show for me.  Well, maybe he did in those heart stopping kissing moments.  :)  Maxon on the other hand was really the guy I was rooting for.  His inexperience and self doubt when it came to the girls was endearing.  I know that given the chance that boy will be just as passionate and confident as Aspen.  He has all the makings of a great leader.  He has compassion and he knows how to listen.

I'm so happy I picked this book up.  Yum, yumma, yum yum.  I'm really looking forward to the next book!

As for content, there was mild swearing throughout and some steamy kissing.

17 comments:

  1. Great review. I really loved the book too and totally agree to TEAM MAXON. just hope that the CW will pick the pilot this second time.

    do check my review too if you get the time here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Maxon too! Aspen was ok but I hate when guys break up with girls because of how they think the girl might feel about something. So much for partnership

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I hate it even more when they show back up after being so stupid and mess everything up! Maxon will be a better partner because he knows how to listen.

      Delete
  3. Just finished this book, and I agree, I was totally rooting for Maxon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Team Maxon too! After Aspen broke America's heart, I knew I wouldn't be forgiving him so I was super pissed off when he showed back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mad too! Who does he think he is, anyway? :)

      Delete
  5. Love the sounds of this book! You're right the cover is amazing. I would probably eat it up in one day! Great review. Already am liking the play on her name and where she lives...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover of this book and have read mixed reviews. I am glad it was an eat it up book for you. I think I might give it a try! :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the review! I really want to read this book at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really been wanting to read this book - and now your review is making me want to read it THAT MUCH MORE! Your review, and this discussion on "Team Maxon" in the comments! lol :P

    Thank you for this thoughtful review - it tells me I need to get my hands on this book ASAP! :)

    Name: Hira Hasnain
    Email: Enamoredsoul(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Team Maxon all the way! What did Apsen think? That he could just show up and she would go back to him? I kind of hope that Maxon figures out that he's the guy America was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review. I still waiting for my copy which I won from a giveaway to arrive. I also love the gorgeous cover.

    And yes, you're right, there's so many mixed reviews about this book.I think I'll have to read for myself to judge objectively :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! You voiced my thoughts exactly! The Bachelorette is a guilty pleasure of mine and I really enjoyed this book! There are some similarities but this book is more than that! (In fact, I think it's been accepted for a TV show or something like that! 2nd try) This book was a really quick read too!
    And Team Maxon all the way! Such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually ended up enjoying this one as well. The whole idea is completely intriguing. Really looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I don't think i would like it, too reality-showish for me, but I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.