Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On Tour with Demons by Heather Frost

Kate's life is far from normal. She can see Auras, her boyfriend is immortal, and her powers make her a target. But now that the Demon Lord is hunting her, things are about to go from dangerous to truly deadly. Packed with action, mind-blowing plot twists, and characters you can't get enough of, this is a fast-paced, heart-pounding read from cover to cover.

Guess what?  The third book in the Seers series is coming out soon!  To celebrate and get ready for that, Heather Frost is sending Demons out on tour again.  I have previously reviewed this book and I LOVED it.  You can read my review HERE.  This series is one of my favorites.  

My daughter and I met Heather recently and had her sign our books.  She is so sweet.  My daughter is such a fan of these books too.  We were both super excited with our own little meet and greet.  You can see my post of that HERE.

Instead of re-posting my review of Demons (book 2 in the Seers series) I decided to involve my daughter for a new point of view.  Jaalah wrote up some interview questions for Heather and today I'll be posting that interview.  I hope you enjoy it!



Hi Heather. I just love your books. :) I'm wondering how you got the idea for writing these books?

Hi Jaalah! Thanks for reading, and for the great question. My story ideas usually come by first creating interesting characters. Usually I’ll start with only a small idea—a situation that I can put my new character in—and the story grows from there, The idea for “Seers” evolved a little differently. It began with a desire to write a unique story about immortality and the afterlife. The idea for Guardians and Demons came soon after that, and originally Patrick was going to be the main character. But a little more brainstorming convinced me I needed Seers, and so Kate was born. The rest seemed to literally fall into my head, and I started writing. The rest is history.


Were there any scenes inspired by memories, dreams or experiences? 

The scenes with the special needs kids were influenced largely by personal experience. In high school I had the opportunity to help out in the classroom with special needs kids, and the positive influence those great kids had on me has remained with me.

How long do you usually take to write a book? 

It usually takes me about six months. Seers was an exception—I completed the manuscript in two weeks.

In Demons, there is a certain person we have to say goodbye to. It made me cry. Do you ever cry when you are writing certain scenes that are emotional? Are those scenes hard to write? 

I certainly do get emotional! I cry every time I write a death scene. Basically, it’s safe to say that if you as a reader cried reading a scene, I cried while writing it. I always keep a box of Kleenex on my desk, just in case.

Do you have notes for everything in the book or did some parts surprise you when you thought of them?

I’m not good with outlines; if I do sketch out any plans, I find they usually end up altering dramatically. My characters often surprise me, and there were a couple twists in Demons that took me by surprise. I’m going to be cryptic for a second, but people who’ve read “Demons” will know what I’m talking about when I say that the Demon Lord isn’t what readers (or the characters) expected. While typing out the scene where Kate comes face to face with the Demon Lord, my own mouth was gaping open in shock. He took me totally by surprise.

Were any of your characters based on family members or friends? 

I have a few minor characters named after people I know: The band teacher, Mr. Walton, is named after my high school band teacher. The choir teacher, Mr. Hyer, is named after one of my first fans. Landen is the name of my best friend’s son. In “Guardians”, book three, you’ll get to meet Alex Perry, who’s named for a family friend.

Most of my characters borrow traits from people I know. Grandpa Bennett, for instance, has pieces of my dad, and my grandpa. Some of Toni’s humor comes from my brothers. Putting in these names and personality traits is a fun way to pay tribute to important people in my life.


What are some tips you have for other young writers like you who are trying to write a novel? 

My best advice is keep writing, even when you get writer’s block and feel stuck. Create strong characters, and they’ll help you figure out the little things that bring a great plot together.

Our thanks to Heather for taking the time to answer these questions.  She is a good sport.  I think it goes without saying that we are anxiously awaiting the third book, Guardians, that will be coming out soon. 

If you haven't read this series, this is a great time to start.  With the third book coming out this summer, you will get to read all the books in quick succession instead of having to wait forever in between like me!  :)  You can purchase both Seers and Demons on Amazon.  (titles are linked)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.