Friday, June 27, 2014

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.

I scored a review copy of this book on NetGalley (woot, woot).  I've been wanting to read this book!

I don't know, but to me the idea of this book was utterly romantic.  One night surviving a blackout power outage and then a couple brief encounters, one memorable kiss, almost non-existent emails and a reunion at the end, all connected together by postcards.  No undying love professed, no deep and profound thoughts, just a boy and a girl sharing a moment here and there with simple words that mostly said, "Wish You Were Here".   Those little postcards were a reminder of a brief moment in time where two people connected and shared something and they were a hope of maybe one day sharing more.

I don't know.  The postcards totally got me.  There is something about a bit of handwritten mail and a thinking of you appearing in the mail.  It hardly happens anymore with email and texts running rampant, right?  I think it should happen more.

This was a YA book, the main characters, Lucy and Owen are young- 16 and 17.  This is young love at it's best, I think.  Lucy and I share a common bond- both of our brother are named Charlie and Ben.  haha.  Only mine are real and hers are just in the book.  ;)

The writing was engaging and the minutes passed by quickly as I read.  It was a cute story and exactly what I've come to expect from Jennifer Smith.

And I totally agree.  The center of the world isn't a place.  It IS the people that I love.

Content:  I can't remember anything outstanding...

1 comment:

  1. I loved Smith's The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight and this sounds like it captures many of the same elements. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.