Monday, December 22, 2014

Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion #2) by Aimee Carter

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancĂ© cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever. 

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape. 

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in—but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price?



This will be a sort of mixed bag review for me today, I think.  I read the first book in this series (Pawn) and I was so intrigued.  I knew I would have to read the next book even though there were a few things in the first book that I didn't like.  It was a story I was compelled to know more about.  I've been anxiously awaiting this book.

Captive continues right where Pawn left off.  Kitty is in all sorts of trouble, all the time, it seems.  This story is one that literally propels you forward, pushing and pushing.  I barely had time to breathe!  I really love good forward momentum though so it was all good for me.  There is danger around every corner in this book.  Kitty is caught up in lies all around her, not knowing who to trust.  

While I really love the story and the movement and progression, this book was a bit harder for me to swallow.  It seems like while the tension and arch of the story was building so was the violence, which became very graphic.  I have a hard time with graphic violence and with swearing.  The first book had mild swearing, but this book kicked it up a notch.  I didn't like it at all and I didn't think it was necessary.  This book is based on rebellion so of course there is going to be violence and I expected that because the first story had a quite a bit as well, but in this book it was everywhere, all the time.  In details much of the time.  I just didn't love that.

So, good and not so good for me on this one.  Bottom line?  Great writing.  Interesting, compelling and never stagnant but too violent and too much swearing for this girl.  I'm not sure I'm going to read the next book.  I just don't know.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.