Monday, December 8, 2014

Demon's Heart by Emily H. Bates

Young ruffian Rustav is determined to escape his abusive uncle and hated homeland, even if it means braving the demon-infested forest. His escape is halted, however, when a race of legendary beings reveal him to be the country’s fabled heir. As the people rally around him, Rustav teeters precariously between raising his people from the dust—or destroying them from the inside.


The cover is so pretty on this book, don't you think?  I love it.

I'm not sure why but this book just didn't do it for me.  I've been trying for days to pinpoint a specific reason but I just cannot come up with anything.  The premise of the book is a good one, the ideas are solid.  Somewhere in the delivery though, I just didn't connect.  

Rustav is rough around the edges.  He hasn't been shown the love and care a child deserves in life.  He is simply trying to survive.  There are many people Rustav comes in contact with that help to heal his heart.  There is a great cast of characters but again, I was missing that connection somehow.

It took me a long time to get through this book and I was easily distracted with other books.  I guess what it boils down to is that this book just wasn't for me.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't for me.

Content:  This book is clean.  No swearing or sexual situations.  There is some violence but nothing too descriptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.