Friday, June 19, 2015

Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George

Society girls from New York City circa 1890, Dacia and Lou never desired to know more about their lineage, instead preferring to gossip about the mysterious Romanian family that they barely knew. But upon turning seventeen, the girls must return to their homeland to meet their relatives, find proper husbands, and—most terrifyingly—learn the deep family secrets of The Claw, The Wing, and The Smoke. The Florescus, after all, are shape-shifters, and it is time for Dacia and Lou to fulfill the prophecy that demands their acceptance of this fate . . . or fight against this cruel inheritance with all their might.

With a gorgeous Romanian setting, stunning Parisian gowns, and dark brooding young men, readers will be swept up by this epic adventure of two girls in a battle for their lives.
 


 * GoodreadsAmazon *

At first I wasn't sure if I liked this cover, but the more I look at it the more I actually like it.  It is a great representation of what lies inside.  There is nothing generic about this book cover.

I have been a fan of Jessica Day George for a long time.  My girls have loved her books.  I am still a fan of Jessica, but this book actually didn't do it for me.  There were parts of it I really liked but overall I just didn't fall in love.

Let me tell you about the things I did like about this book.  The two main characters are cousins.  They were distinct personalities and I could see obvious growth in them throughout the book.  Dacia and Lou have a close connection and I really enjoyed them.  Lou more than Dacia, if I'm calling out a favorite.

I also liked the set up with the different shape-shifters-  The Claw, The Wing and The Smoke.  They are all parts of the same family who protect the Draculas.  It was cool and combined with the Romanian setting it felt textured and meaty.  It is obvious that the author did her research and homework to make this book feel as authentic as possible.

Somehow the execution of this book was lacking a bit for me.  I felt as though I was trudging through some scenes.  It felt heavy and long.  I have read so many YA paranormal books with shape-shifters and this one just fell short of some of the best ones I've read.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.